Well most of the Outlook users may be known to error 0x80070021. When this error message is displayed it generally denotes ‘the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file’. So when the error is encountered it makes the PST file inaccessible and prevents to perform any operations in Outlook. It halts the service to send/receive mails via Outlook. So users ask questions ‘How to Fix Outlook Error 0x80070021’ and why Outlook PST Locked by another process.
Careful methods have to be adopted as this error prevents to access .pst file. The PST file is the main file over which Outlook works and if the file gets corrupts it poses threat to Exchange Server Database too. So, here are some steps by which Outlook PST error can be removed easily.
Causes of Error Code 0x80070021 in Outlook
There are many reasons which could corrupt PST like
- When the MS Outlook application is not closed properly last time
- If the MS Outlook is running, even if it is closed then PST is used by another resource error is displayed
- Data Storage Problem
- Large size of Outlook PST
These are some common errors that causes PST vulnerable and restricts Outlook usage
Solving the error 0x80070021 in Outlook
Following are some easy solutions to solve ‘Outlook Used by another process’
Close Outlook Application Completely
- Close the Outlook and exit
- Quit outlook from notification tray as well
- Remove Outlook from running applications in Task Manager
One thing to note here is that you have to close the application and not the account.
Data is not stored in PST
If the drive in which outlook PST is stored gets corrupt then this error may appear. So, it is recommended to check the drive, folder in which PST is stored. Check that the folder is not removed or deleted.
Large size of PST is also the main reason why Outlook shows error 0x80070021. If the PST is about to reach storage limit then, remove the un-necessary attachments, media files and other data to reduce the size.
Close Applications Using Outlook
There are many applications which uses MS outlook. Suppose you visit a website that is asking for e-mail authentication, then it will restart Outlook automatically. Close the website or any similar applications and check whether you can access PST file or not.
System Restore to Latest Point
Well, if the above techniques doesn’t work out, then you can use system restore
- Login to computer as administrator
- Go to Start, select Programs and then Accessories
- Select System tools and then ‘System Restore Setting’
- A new dialog box will appear, click on “Restore my computer to earlier time”
- Select latest restore point available and then next
- When the process gets complete, restart system and check the problem is solved or not
With these simple 4 methods you can avoid error 0x80070021 in Outlook. However if the manual method does not fix the problem then you can select Outlook PST repair tool. It quickly repairs the damaged file and restore in new PST File. An additional features of this tool is that you can split large pst files to reduce size of PST.